Wednesday, 21 May 2014

Dipping My Toes In...

Dipping My Toes Into the Blogging World


So there I was, blogless. Is that a real word? If not, can I claim it as my own?

Where was I? Oh yes...

Then I was asked if I wanted to join in a "baton blog hop". So I sat down and thought about it.

Blogging is one of those things an aspiring writer is encouraged to do, along with getting onto Facebook and Twitter. And as writing a blog seemed like it might be an interesting exercise in itself, here I am...

And of course now I'm on Facebook and Twitter too, so I have three great extra distractions from getting on with my writing efforts. All of which are new, intriguing and still a mystery to me to a greater or lesser degree! I'll add links in due course. 


Okay, when I've worked out how...

I've always been a bit rebellious. If I'm told I "should" or "ought" to do something, it immediately makes me feel it's more to do with peer pressure than good advice. But a lot of people like using these rather vague words. If they said "a blog is a helpful way for an aspiring writer to connect with potential readers", that would make more sense to me, being annoyingly logical. And rebellious in a minor way.

So, thanks to Meg Amour for inviting me to join in and overcome my resistance, reluctance or rebelliousness. She's a writer I really enjoy reading and I'm sure more people will feel the same if they give her stories a try. Her blog is at http://www.troikaromance.blogspot.com.

We're both contributors to the Erotica Readers and Writers Association (www.erotica-readers.com), an e-mail based writer's group in which we can post erotic fiction and poetry for critiquing by others. I've found it a great place to develop as a writer, and that the feedback I've had has been constructive, helpful and supportive. The best feedback are the comments you hoped not to get, of course, but these are often the most helpful ones. All the work posted there has erotic or sexual content, covering a wide range of styles and sub-genres, including romance, sci-fi, fantasy, BDSM and some rather darker, edgier stories.

Personally, I tend to concentrate on the more romantic side of erotica, although my stories often have elements of action, fantasy, supernatural/paranormal and even science fiction as well. Sometimes rather darker ideas want to come out and play. As far as I'm concerned, I just write the stories I find lurking in my imagination and hope I can do them justice.


None of my work is autobiographical and none of my major characters are based on any single person I know. Yes, events in the stories might be influenced, inspired or coloured by personal experience, but they're only stories. 

I have a variety of hobbies and interests and enjoy trying out new things which seem likely to be fun. Some of these might be related to ideas I already have, or might give me some ideas for the future. If I think I might be able to share some of the fun I have doing something  in a future blog entry, I will. I always had a mild hankering to write a column, so maybe this blog will let me play with that notion!


Biog

Who am I?

I live in the South-West of the UK, with my wife and our dogs and horses. My wife would like to keep chickens, but we both worry that they wouldn’t last long with two lively terriers in a small suburban garden.

I'm a professional scientist who started writing non-fiction and fiction as a creative hobby, with some modest success in being published. Non-fiction is an outlet for my butterfly mind, unwittingly encouraged by parents telling me to "look it up" when wearied by endless questions. Fiction I can only blame on an over-vivid imagination, but I know that isn't really an excuse. I avoided creative writing initially, lacking confidence in my ability to write dialogue. In the weird way that these things happen, I really enjoy writing dialogue-rich stories now.

I've had a couple of non-fiction articles published, one in my local regional newspaper, and had a bit of success writing prize-winning letters to magazines. I also enjoy giving general interest talks to public audiences, covering topics ranging from the origin of Christmas traditions to a potted history of the diseases we commonly died from until pretty recently in our history.

I've had two short stories published to date in anthologies and one in a magazine, all of which I'm still really pleased with. None of these were erotic, but I'm pretty sure it won't be long before one of my more recent stories is accepted for publication.

I enjoy trying to write the sort of stories I enjoy reading. Well, I probably listen to more novels than I read, as audiobooks are good company during my daily commuting.

And I'd quite like to keep chickens too. They're lovely little creatures with great personalities.


Links 

The anthologies in which I was published are available for purchase.

“Hunting at Dawn” was included in the Alfiedog anthology “This Land Is My Land”
http://alfiedog.com/products-page/adventure/this-land-is-my-land-16-short-reads-for-lazy-days/

“A Career For Lizzy” was published in the anthology “Child In Me”, supporting the Grandparents’ Association, a charitable organisation I was delighted to help.
http://books.squidoo.com/the-child-within

2 comments:

  1. Aloha Ian

    Fantastic blog! I really enjoyed that and thanks for the shoutout.

    I resisted the whole twitter thing too initially. I felt it was just another way to take up the I didn't have. Bit I've found it fun. Not sure why. Lol. And since I've been on there 3 short weeks my blog readers have increased 1000%. Yes. That much. I find it almost fascinating to see how it works. :-)

    Anyway congratulations on getting your blog up and running. Good on you. Fun to read.

    Aloha Meg. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ian,

    for someone who is new to blogging you have done pretty well. An interesting and insightful article, a nice quick taste of who Ian Smith really is. I will be checking back here often, to have a nosy and to support you with your very public cherry popping :-)

    Great first post.

    Lucee.

    ReplyDelete